Wednesday 24 April 2013

Shaking up the status quo: Are you sitting too comfortably in your life?



Shake up your routine and live a little



Have you taken a chance lately? Have you walked out of your comfort zone in a while? If you answered no to these two queries then maybe it’s time to look at what needs to change and maybe ask yourself if you are sitting too comfortably!

You’ve probably heard this expression and I believe it: Life often begins at the end of our comfort zone. Perhaps, it’s time to dust off that tired and comfortable old routine and shake things up a little, and challenge the status quo.

It doesn’t have to be big or expensive, sometimes shaking things up means simply thinking about what is missing in your life. Have you always wanted to drive a car really fast – Mosport has a racing day so maybe that will let out your inner Mario Andretti - http://www.mosport.com/driving-a-riding-experiences. Maybe you’ve wanted to learn how to make a mean crème Brule, well what’s stopping you from investigating cooking courses like the innovative ones offered at George Brown College in Toronto: http://coned.georgebrown.ca/owa_prod/cewskcrss.P_ProgArea?area_code=PA0043.

The possibilities are endless. As a certified Life and Career Coach, I often work with clients to help them determine what is missing in their lives. We will review favorite memories from childhood and some of the hobbies they have enjoyed in the past but haven’t taken the time to do anymore because they use being busy or tired as an excuse. We all do, but it’s important to face that fact and make the effort. Believe me, I know.

One of my favorite outings that can take me out of my comfort zone is scheduling gal pal time and going out to dance. I like to dress up, feel energized and listen to great music. Sometimes we see a live band or sometimes we just hit the dance floor. I’m not 25 or even 35 – I’m 46, and I never worry about being older than some of the crowed as I am there to simply enjoy the music and my girlfriends’ energy.

Shaking up the status quo and doing something different or re-trying something you always loved to do is important as it reminds you to embrace all the different facets of your life and not just stay in the safe, conservative zone saying to yourself – ‘I’m too old or I’m too busy or I don’t have the energy’ – there are always excuses, so stop using them and simply take the time to plan what might ‘tickle your fancy’ as it might just be worth the extra effort in bringing a renewed energy and richness to your life.


Steffi Black Coaching
www.steffiblackcoaching.com
steffiblack@gcylaw.com

No comments:

Post a Comment